Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oliver EDWARDS/HUGHES - b. 1783 d. Newtown 1853

Oliver EDWARDS/HUGHES - b. 1783 d. Newtown 1853 3 years 9 months ago #14

I'm trying to trace the forebears of Oliver Edwards, Blacksmith, who died in Newtown in 1853. I believe his mother was Margaret Hughes, born in Buttington in 1762 and buried in Forden Churchyard on 19th May 1831. I believe that Oliver was illegitimate since the only matching baptism record that I can find is of Oliver Hughes, "natural born son of Margaret Hughes", baptised in Lydbury North on 1st July 1783. I believe that Margaret Hughes subsequently married Edward Edwards at St Mary's Church, Shrewsbury on 11th September 1786. Edward and Margaret then moved to Buttington, where they had 3 more children (John b.1787 d.1831, Margaret b.1793, Catherine b.1796). They then moved to Forden where they had a further 2 children (William b.1798 d.1799 and Richard b.1800).

John Edwards joined the Royal Horse Artillery as a Gunner and fought at Waterloo. When he left the Army he married Susanna Brown in Great Yarmouth then came back to Forden and lived at "Waterloo Cottage" where he died in 1831. He was buried in Forden Churchyard on the same day as his mother.

I am uncertain where Edward Edwards was born or died, but think it is most likely that he was born in Forden, in 1758, son of Oliver Edwards and Margaret Vaughan. I think that Margaret Hughes was probably born in Buttington, daughter of William Hughes and Catherine Thomas

If any members can shed any light on Oliver Edwards' parents or siblings I would be delighted to hear from you.

Best regards,
David Garbett-Edwards
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Member 1861. Reason: New information
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds